Friday, April 20, 2018

Photo1Q4.29: Group Album Cover Art ITSO iSpy

Thumbnail only; not the final image

The group album cover art project that we were inspired to do ours in the style of was of iSpy, by KYLE featuring Lil Yachty. We intended on doing one of the succeeding ones, though, we believed that this was a better balance of difficulty and ease as some of our previous selections were either too challenging or too simple. They include Anderson .Paak, Bryson Tiller, Rich Brian, and Childish Gambino. Our backups just in case the iSpy cover was too easy included BROCKHAMPTON, Dreamville, and J. Cole.

Image result for ispy single cover

We thought the number of elements in this was too complicated given the time frame, but I know that this would've been incredibly fun to attempt.
This likely would've been one of our backups.
Very simple as it does just appear to be two gels and a simple portrait, but I doubt anyone in our group could capture the red eyes look without any illegal substances haha
Very simple as well. I feel that the under-exposed look of this is too dark for my liking however.
Our first alternate.
Our second alternate.
Our third alternate.

To preface this, our group wasn't necessarily split into a specific role as everyone helped out with different things along the way, but here is what everyone in our group did: Coby (me) was the co-director/set designer, Eldon helped with BTS photos as well as holding up the flash for some of our early photos, Rylen was unfortunately sick, Noah helped me out with designing the "set" (cutting out iSpy better than my left handed cutting ever could) and posed in the final photo, and Kris also assisted with setting up the light and gathering materials for the project (the chain is from him). I contributed the jacket and shirt, though I basically wore it for the final anyways so in reality I just contributed to the final photo and organizing the photos for the group.

The album cover art was selected pretty interestingly. We were very indecisive of which one to select since we all had different tastes. I personally wanted to do Blonde by Frank Ocean but that requires much more extensive work beyond this group project that I probably will want to do on my own someday. We settled on Anderson .Paak, but quickly realized that his art for his single "Am I Wrong" proved too difficult in terms of supplies. Because it was asked in the rubric that we recreate even the text and graphics, I was most worried about those elements and how we would incorporate it into the final product. Thus, We finally selected iSpy, which had a minimal design but quite a few possibilities as to what we could potentially do to achieve a similar look to it.

Final
Just for fun, I made an artificial version of it


Compared to the original album cover, I don't think we did too bad on copying it. Obviously the shadow of my face is the most painstaking part of the final photo, and the silhouette lighting work of the original far surpasses that of ours, but it wasn't that bad given how the frugality of our items.

I appreciated the chain and Noah's willingness to wear his shirt backwards. You don't realize it until you really look at his sweater, but it's on backwards, and I thought that it made this photo a lot better. The way the blue falls on the sweater is pretty intriguing as well. The pose was also crucial to get it at least somewhat similar to the original, and I think we did an okay job. It's not exactly how I expected it to turn out, but hey; almost nothing turns out expectedly when it comes to my art.

After completing the group collaborative work, I do feel more prepared for the personal ITSO. I was aware that composition is highly key to your photo, and looking on to some of the photos I wanted to recreate for the next project, that will probably be a main focus before everything else in the photo (props, pose, expression, context clues, etc.).

Working independently, I think the biggest challenge will definitely be finding a subject that really matches what I want to go for. I have a couple people in mind, however, that I'd like to use for the personal ITSO project.

BTS Photos:




No comments:

Post a Comment

shimabukuro photos © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K.